I have been fascinated by the reactions that people have had to me when I was on maternity leave, when I was getting ready to go back to work, and now that I am back at work. I find that some people are very judgemental about how they expect families to work. Well, I’ve got news for you everyone, we’re all different, we all have different needs and that is one of the amazing things about us.
My aim is to share the stories of families of all different types and spread the word that we are all playing a #BalancingAct to get through and raise our little people the best way we can. Let’s celebrate the diversity between our families, let’s not judge each other.
So, this week I’d like to hand you over to Ali from Mum in a Nutshell.
- Tell me about your family
Family of 5; Ali, Daz, 14,10, 7 mths boys
- What was your job/position before you started your family?
Children’s outreach worker prior to arrival of youngest in May
- What was you work-life balance like?
Perfect, worked part time, 9-3 so could do school pick ups, balanced school holidays with tag parenting & my mum. Neither work or family were compromised.
4. How did you find being away from work when you were on maternity leave?
Currently on mat leave, I’m seriously thinking of handing my notice in & are trying to negotiate contract with part time hours that I can then use my accrued annual leave up with so I don’t need to return.
- Have you returned to some kind of work since having baby and how did you come to that decision?
I will need to work, thinking of returning to childminding as financially I won’t be any better off working & paying childcare.
- How (if at all) has work changed since you returned (if you did)?
Not there yet. I’ve lost my passion for the job & there are a lot of new staff started since (including my line manager) I left so the job will be very different.
- Describe your work-life balance now in 3 words.
Perfect on mat leave! Will be very stressful if I return or I will just do bare minimum in work so my life balance will take preference.
- Would you change anything about the family and work balance that you currently have?
If I had the choice I would like to be a stay at home mum for at least 4 years. I don’t want to return to my job, my ambition, confidence and passion has gone.
Details Website: www.muminanutshell.com
If you think you’d like to get involved in this feature and share your story, please leave a comment or tweet me @mamavsteacher